About the artist
Laura Santamaria (1976) lives and works in Milan, Italy, and Lugano, Switzerland.
Her practice, which includes painting, installations, site-specific projects, is related to precarious states of impermanency through which she explores varying experimental, creative processes. Her site-specific sculptures and installations often present the viewer with a parallel between the micro and macro cosmos, thus reflecting on systems and processes of interconnectivity.
Her work is featured in various collections, including the Artphilein Foundation Collection, Switzerland, and in a permanent installation at the Fondazione Spinola Banna per l’Arte, Italy. Her previous residencies also include one at the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo in A Coruña, Spain (2017) and V-I-R ViaFarini in Milan, Italy (2018).
Laura Santamaria is the founder and curator of the collaborative project, 'Drawings from Lightning', an artist book composed of a collection of drawings representing individual thoughts by the artist.
- MAC Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, A Coruña (2018);
- Open Studio, Via Farini, Milan (2018);
- International Day of Light, Morgue Project Space, Chelsea College, London (2018);
- Drawings from Lightning, MADEINBRITALY, London (2017);
- Revolve: R, James Hockey and Foyer Galleries, UCA, Farnham (2017);
- R:R, Hours Gallery, Bristol (2017);
- The London Open, Whitechapel Gallery, London (2015);
- Italia Happening, 130 artists' books, Salon Fur Kunstbuch, Wien (2015);
- Praestigium, Contemporary Artists from Italy, Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo, Turin (2015);
- Fondazione Cini, Venice, Room&Book, ICA, London (2015);
- Upward Positive Leaders + Drawings from Lightnings, Kunstverein Neukölln, Kunstraum t27, Berlin (2014);
- Focus On Laura Santamaria, Choisi – one at the time, Lugano (2014);
- MAC Museo di Arte Contemporanea, Lissone (2014);
- Four to the Floor, Mestna Galerija, Nova Gorica (2014);
- Trilogie des Loches, Kunstverein Neukölln, Kunstraum t27, Berlin (2012).