About the artist
Daniel Arango (1982) is a Colombian-born, American-raised artist, who roams the world making art and looking for inspiration. Arango's family fled Colombia’s civil war when he was three, moving to Miami. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Interior Design from the School of Visual Arts in New York City and a Master of Fine Arts degree in Painting from Rhode Island School of Design. Training in both interior design and painting greatly influenced his art practice.
Previously based in New York City, he has been travelling around the globe with his nomadic studio since 2011. For his Hawaiian Series, he lived in the Maui jungle for four months, harvesting plants and absorbing the exotic environment. For Arango’s most recent series, he composed intricately layered digital drawings, exploring the relationship between his environment and history as well as contemporary culture. He gets inspiration from art objects, antiquities and some of the world’s great cultural institutions, namely The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre.
Arango creates images of depth and real beauty through a detailed process of digitally manipulating life drawings, printing them and applying paint to them, often painstakingly so that there is no trace of the drawing left. The impact of architectonics is integral to the finished work. He creates tight structures within his works to act as a point of departure from which to explore a looser rendering of line and form in the composition, and metaphorically, to liberate the self within a rigid homogenizing society.
- Printed Matter's LA Art Book Fair, Misc. Press, Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, Los Angeles (2016);
- EXCHANGE, Your Art, Your Space, Visual Centre for Contemporary Art, Carlow, Ireland (2015);
- Daniel Arango vs. Kevin Arnold: Faith as Model, Able Fine Art, New York (2014);
- The Blonde Salad Party, Le Bain, The Standard, New York (2014);
- The 21st Annual Watermill Center Summer Benefit, The Watermill Center, Watermill, New York (2014);
- Gallery Nights Season Finale, Katsuya By Stark at SLS Hotel, Miami Beach (2013);
- “It’s All About The Kids” Benefiting St. Jude Children’s, JW Marriott Marquis, Miami (2013);
- Noches De Galerias, Katsuya By Stark at SLS Hotel, Miami Beach (2013);
- Storytellers and Mystics, Art Connects New York, Brooklyn, New York (2013);
- Verge Art Fair, Ess Callahan Projects Gallery, New York (2012);
- COME AND GET IT!, Hendershot Gallery, New York (2012);
- Petite-Mort- Recollections, forever & today, inc., New York (2011);
- Voyage Issue XXXX Magazine, Big Screen Plaza, New York (2011);
- Cocktails At Sunset, Hosted By Steven Klein, Bridgehampton; ACRIA’s Unframed, 23 Third Avenue Penthouse, New York (2011);
- The ART OF LOVE, Milk Gallery, New York (2011);
- New Contemporaries, RISD Museum Gelman Gallery, Providence, Rhode Island (2010);
- Whatever Forever, Black Sheep Projects, Providence, Rode Island (2010);
- Graduate Thesis Show, Rode Island Convention Center, Providence, Rode Island (2010);
- T-Shirt Collection for Art Basel, The Webster, Miami, Florida (2009);
- crit 4, Spencertown Academy Arts Center, Spencertown, New York (2009);
- Graduate Painting, Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence, Rhode Island (2008);
- GLAAD OutAuction, Metropolitan Pavilion, New York (2007);
- American Slide-All, New York Studio Gallery, New York (2007);
- Eric are you there? Solo Exhibition, Ninth Studio, New York (2006);
- Art.B.Q, East River Bar, Brooklyn (2006);
- Senior Thesis Show, National Arts Club, New York (2005);
- SVA Exhibition, School of Visual Arts Gallery, New York (2003);
- SVA Exhibition, School of Visual Arts Gallery, New York (2002).